Welcome to the Internal Audit web site at CERN!
Internal Audit is part of the DG Unit and reports directly to the Director-General.
Internal audit is an independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to add value and improve the Organization's operations. It provides expertise in three areas:
The main aim of internal auditing is to assist the Organization to achieve its objectives:
- Risks hinder objectives
- Internal controls mitigate risks
- Internal auditing provides an assurance that internal controls mitigate risks to acceptable levels
Internal Audit main activities are to:
- Perform audit reviews according to the audit plan approved by the Director-General
- Follow-up on recommendations made in previous reports
- Provide internal consultancy, particularly in the fields of governance, risk management and controls
- Assist the External auditors & the CERN Standing Advisory Committee on Audits (SACA) in their missions
- Perform special investigations
- Network with Internal Audit services of other International Organizations for training and benchmarking purposes
- Review cost claims related to funding obtained through the framework programmes (FP6 & FP7) of the European Union and provide the required audit certificates